Years of Professional Dental Treatment
Elevated Patient Care Since 1997.
At Classic Smiles, we strive to make dental care easy and stress-free. With more than twenty years of experience serving Iowa City residents, we know how important it is to provide professional yet caring dental treatment.
Some of the services we provide include:
- Cosmetic Dentistry
For more in-depth services, such as wisdom teeth extraction and root canal treatment, we work directly with specialty offices.
Classic Smiles is conveniently located at 611 E Burlington Street, just a short walk from downtown Iowa City. Drop by whenever you're in the area, make an appointment online, or contact us by calling 319.727.8007.Learn More
How Stress-Free Dentistry in Iowa City Can Help You
Dental anxiety is a real problem for many people and can significantly affect their oral and overall health. For example, a person who feels extreme fear during their treatment may struggle to stay still or experience a panic attack. Others may stop scheduling appointments and end up affecting their oral health in permanent and devastating ways that only a dentist can potentially help. That’s why it’s important to find a care option that works for your needs as a person. Stress-free dentistry in Iowa City may be just what you need.
Let’s look into the specifics process, which provides many benefits that you can’t get with other treatments. The stress-free approach is becoming more common at dental clinics across the country. We offer it at Classic Smiles for patients who need this care help.
Decrease Your Dental Anxiety
Dental anxiety is a common issue that can occur without warning in many people. Some may find themselves capable of visiting a dentist one time and then in sudden fear and anxiety the next. That’s why it is so vital to get stress-free dentistry to manage this problem quite quickly.
It will help decrease your dental anxiety and make this process easier for you by providing many benefits that are hard to get with other types of dentistry. Just a few of the services that you can anticipate when you get this type of dental care from a specialized professional include:
- Sedation During Your Visit – Many stress-free dental professionals use sedation methods to help make this process simpler. This sedation will put you under during your procedure, allowing you to sleep through it. In this way, your dental anxiety will disappear or at least not interfere with your treatment and cause you to panic or lash out at medical professionals attempting to help you.
- Counseling Sessions – At many stress-free dental clinics, you can receive counseling with a dentist to figure out what is bothering you. These sessions will be very informal and should not be considered real psychological help. However, talking with the dentist may help to make it easier for you to understand the root of your anxiety and make your recovery a little easier to handle.
- Exposure Treatment – As you go to your dentist multiple times, they may provide you with less sedation or even keep you awake during part of your procedure. The idea behind this approach is to gradually acclimate you to the dental process and make it simpler for you to get treatment. This type of exposure therapy may help cure your fear (though this is not always possible).
These benefits are things that just about any stress-free dentistry clinic can provide you. Taking a risk and working with your dentist on this process makes it possible to ensure that you don’t run into complications with your process that may make your dental or oral health less secure.
Just as importantly, you can slowly but surely feel your anxiety begin to melt away. While there’s no guarantee that you’ll ever fully get over your fear, sometimes it is just best to bite the bullet and see what this type of dentistry can do for you. Otherwise, your oral health will suffer.
What to Expect During a Visit
If you’re interested in a stress-free dentistry environment, it is essential to know what to expect during your visits. Most of the time, these centers will provide a very similar level of care that helps to make your dental visit simpler. That said, there may be variations between some centers, so talk to your therapist before you begin. Most of the time, though, your experience will include:
- A Calming Atmosphere – All dentists try to create a calm presence for their clients by using quiet music and comfortable designs in the waiting room. However, stress-free dental experts will try to sit down and talk with you about your anxiety before treatment begins, making it easier for you to understand the overall process and see if you’re ready for the treatment you need.
- Sedation of Many Types – After you have finished your paperwork and waited for your turn, your dentist will sit you in a comfortable chair, play relaxing music, and slowly sedate you before your procedure begins. Often, they will pair you with professional and friendly attendants who can talk to you while you fall asleep to ensure that you don’t experience any panic at the last minute.
- A Recovery Period – Once your treatment is over, you’ll move to a recovery room. Here, you’ll lie down and sleep off the sedation while attendants make sure you experience no side effects. After you wake up, a friend or family member can take you home because you’ll likely be too dizzy to get up and drive yourself. Some centers may have juice, water, or even snacks after your treatment is over.
A stress-free dentistry visit can include many types of care, including cleaning, cavity repair, tooth removal, and much more. However, you’ll be unaware of these processes as they occur, removing your dental anxiety from the situation. As a result, you can get the kind of high-quality treatment necessary to prevent tooth loss or other dental care concerns you may experience.
Manage Your Dental Anxiety Today
Dental anxiety doesn’t have to doom you to a lifetime of imperfect teeth. Many people have used stress-free dental care methods to slowly get over their anxiety and receive the help they need. Others may rely on stress-free techniques to avoid lifelong troubles. Whatever the situation, you shouldn’t let fear get in the way of your oral health and must take steps to prevent serious concerns.
So if you need stress-free dentistry in Iowa City to manage your fears, please don’t hesitate to contact us at Classic Smiles as soon as possible. Our professionals will listen to what you have to say, assess where your fear originates, and schedule a stress-free dental appointment. We’ll make sure to talk to you about every step involved and will work with your loved ones to create a strong support team.