Whether you are looking for a dentist in Iowa City or the surrounding area, or you are already getting care from our team of dental experts, here are a few fun facts you might not have known about the most common dental procedure- implants:
Five Fun Facts
- Most dental implant posts are made from titanium- the same stuff they build rockets out of. The root of the tooth is replaced by a titanium peg and a porcelain cap is placed over it that looks and feels just like a real natural tooth.
- A dental implant will not decay and it cannot get cavities, but they can become stained or chipped and need to be cared for just as you care for your natural teeth in order for them to last as long as possible for you.
- Implants can help preserve jaw bone and promote increased bone density, ensuring the jaw is still used in the area of the missing tooth or teeth.
- By age 75, it is estimated that a quarter of the population has lost all of their teeth. A staggering 70 percent of people from age 35 to 44 are believed to missing at least one tooth.
- Some of the first document tooth replacements are believed to have been recorded by the Mayans who attempted to replace teeth by hammering pieces of shells into the jaw to fill the hole left by the missing tooth.
Our team of experts knows what it is like to truly take care of a patient. We’re proud to be the name that Iowa City residents trust above all others when looking for a dentist. Contact us today for a consultation appointment!